Thursday, February 11, 2010


Re-Birth

born onto a stomach
ardent by touch
perfumed with sweat
suckling, singing, clinging
to all that has been known
climbing the struggle of existence
and for the lucky ones
the initial ascent is supplemented

colors beyond the pavement of known rainbows
crawling on soft grasses
rolling delicately beneath our little feet
stories told of great adventures
of princesses, kings and puppies
poking out wet noses beneath fences
squealing and squiggling

bustling with breath as fresh as spring hyacinths
our faces rolled in dirt after just digesting perfect mud pies
wet from swimming in rowboats filled with muddy April rains
fresh as the first day
we dry ourselves off
soaked once again

and with a towel, seashell pink, I dry my own tears
and wipe my mind clear of all those insignificant fears
and harrowing angers amongst an infiltrated humiliation
and bathe again in sea salts composed of humanity
and to the whole universe
I plant an eternal kiss upon it's ripe brow

~Emily Loren Moss Ferrell
written 02/10/2010 7:15 pm
photo 02/11/2010 approx 10:45 am

A very special dedication of this poem goes to Paul Hawgood
founder of www.archwayfoundation.org.uk

1 comment:

  1. This poem is excellent. As a poet I wish I had written this, the metaphors are fantastic, this poem says more to me than any I have read recently in bookstores.

    ReplyDelete